Re: Building A Nationals Winning Car

To: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Building A Nationals Winning Car
From: bruce haden <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 13:19:50 -0700
>Generally true, but patently false for CM and FM -- and I'll go further
>out on that limb and say that CM and FM are probably the least
>expensive places to run in the long term.  Even including the fact that
>you have to tow.

FM; I'll agree with you on that one .
CM; I think that assumes you buy a used car that has depreciated. Yes,
Formula-type cars can be quite cheap to run (I used to have a Lotus 27
in a prior decade) if you do it right. My only problem with them is they
only have, typically, one seat. I enjoy giving rides too much to give up
the extra seat. I look at towing as a plus. You can separate your race
car from your street car. Life is more pleasant that way when you have
a 90 mile daily commute.

>As for SP being inexpensive, I suspect you haven't priced out a proper
>no-excuses fuel injection/intake/ignition system for Street Prepared,
>especially including the cost of development and tuning.  That was a
>major factor in why I got out of Street Prepared and into CM.

Actually I am aware of the Electromotive and similar stuff out there
that costs a small fortune. There are also a lot of similar things avail
that can do a good job at less expense. Sometimes a good old 4 barrel
works just fine. I considered SP but decided not to because of the steetability
issue. Full SP cars are not user friendly on the street. Oddly enough.
after saying what I did, I have to admit I race a 71 Pinto in EP. I have less
than $3000 total in it, including the cost of the car. Yes, I bought it used.
It's very competetive. Going Prepared or Mod is not expensive unless you
start from scratch or have the urge to modify the car extensively. I could,
if I wanted, spend a LOT on the Pinto, especially on the suspension,but
won't any time soon. I works well as is. BTW: CM looks like a fun class

Bruce