Re: computers and timers

To: <JVHT@aol.com>, <ashcraft2@home.com>,
Subject: Re: computers and timers
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:52:13 -0500
>The reason are club purchased AutoX T/S software by Rob Gregg is to
>automatically keep all the records!  At the end of every event all reports
>are ready to print, fax, post to website or archive permanently! Not to
>mention all drivers data has been updated. Need a phone number, address or
>email address of a participant? It's in there!  You should know how many
>hours of data input this eliminates.  The software is great!!!
>
>Here, try it!  <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/jvht/demo.zip";>For a demo
of
>AutoX/TS click here.</A>
>

>John Taylor
>assistant timer @ <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/jvht/gcac.html";>Gulfcoast
>Autocrossers Ltd.</A>

At the Nationals warmup I was assigned as announcer for my work heat, and it
was the first time I'd had a chance to work with Rob Gregg's nifty system.
Wow! Talk about neat! There I was with a monitor in front of me with the
driver's name, hometown, car, class, yada yada. There were the top several
times in his class -- we were running randomly mixed classes,  not by class,
so this changed with every car and I was able to know that SS car's standing
even through we hadn't seen another SS for 10 cars, or even the previous
heat. I had the driver's own best previous run. I had the last several cars,
in order, that had run. I had pylon counts if and when they were called in
and the 'puter operator had input them. I had the driver next to finish, the
ones on course behind him, the ones at staging....

My big problem (Hah!) was watching the big window which had the
next-to-finish driver and as he would hit the lights his info would pop down
to the littler window lower-left, but I kept reading the time in the big
window which was the NEXT next-to-finish driver. Oops. Nothing a little
familiarity with the system (seat time!) would not cure. Man, that was cool!
And it was even possible to park the announcer off in a corner, out of the
way of the people doing the T&S and crunching the numbers instead of leaning
over their shoulders to read what they are writing. I LIKE IT!!!

--Rocky