Re: RE: ABS and Tire size

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RE: ABS and Tire size
From: "Walter Fooshee" <WALTER@inacompnet.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 11:11:23 -0500
I agree. Make misjudgments in speed? It doesn't know the difference, as the
speed is calculated from an assumed diameter. If the diameter is slightly
different, then then speed is slightly different physically, but the ABS is
still responding to speed difference between the wheels. I don't know that the
ABS system really cares what the actual speed is, until the speed approaches an
actual stop. (Wouldn't want it releasing the brakes with all four wheels
stopped, would we?)

Walter Fooshee
Dixie Region Probe GT

>>> <PbPied@aol.com> 09/29 10:47 AM >>>
Someone is going to have to explain to me why a simple change in tire
diameter could have any effect on an ABS car's ability to function.  In the
case where a larger tire were used, the system should "see" it as just
lower speed (reduced wheel RPM).  The opposite would be true of a smaller
tire diameter.

That does, of course, assume that the relationship between front and rear
tire sizes remains constant.  If a car came with 195/60's and someone put
205/55's all around, why would that cause a problem?  Now if someone does
as I did on my Colt and put 225/50's on the front, and 185/60's on the rear,
that might send an ABS computer into a meltdown mode.... (no, the old tech
'89 Mitsubishi Made car does not have that sophistication... or a suspension
worth a hoot either...)

Alan