Rear sway bars in stock

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear sway bars in stock
From: Paul and Meredith Brown <racers@rt66.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 22:04:18 -0600
I was at first very opposed to this idea, since it would tend to
destabilize things, I can't see it changing the competitive situation
(already "dominant" cars are just as likely to benefit as those which might
need some help), and the only possible change in costs would be to a higher
level than what we've got now.

But then after thinking about this, I don't think it would change anything
at all.  Why?  What car would benefit from just a rear bar, particularly a
larger rear bar?  FWDs mostly already lift a rear wheel, and as I said
before, once it's lifted there's no more weight to transfer so a bigger
rear bar isn't going to make much difference there.  And most RWD cars I've
been around are already fighting wheelspin to some extent (even MR2s!) so a
bigger bar there is obviously not the way to go.  I suppose there may be a
few isolated instances where a bigger bar would be a benefit (914?) but in
general I think people who tried them would end up back with a non-stock
front.  I guess there may be some cases where a SMALLER rear bar might be a
good thing, but then a larger front one would almost certainly be a
better/safer/whatever way to go and we already allow that.

If a rear bar isn't going to be a benefit anyway, WHY CHANGE THE RULE?

Paul and Meredith Brown

MR2:  "Not the easiest car in the world to work on"