Re: All Things Scotty

Subject: Re: All Things Scotty
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 16:52:25 -0700

"Mark J. Andy" wrote:

> It wouldn't surprise me that Scotty is a really cool guy in person.

Well, let's not go too far the other way.  :-)

> On the net, when I'm reading messages about how there's no such thing as
> dimenishing returns and if you don't wanna spend $100k on your autox car
> its your problem and such, particularly coming from a guy who quite
> freaking obviously doesn't face the same budgetary constraints I do, I'd
> say he's a dickhead.

I disagree. Looking at specifics (damn..the tractor beams have pulled me
into this thread!)...

There is no such thing as diminishing returns. I can see the point.
Sure, you get less and less for what you spend, but that is the nature
of our sport when you boil it down. Getting that first 90% was easy. The
next 7-8% was harder. Getting that last tiny bit is what separates the
winners from the whiners. That is true in driving and in car
preparation. Going fast is not cheap.

Spending $100k? That is a relative number. The question of fairness of
that has nothing to do with my budget. I will tell you my car budget is
FAR less than Scotty's...but you have to pay to play. That is how it
works. That is why I am in stock, and specially CS, land of the
cheapskates. :-) I don't choose to pay and play in SP. But if I did, I
would understand that spending and testing and development are all part
of the mix.

If spending $100k is wrong, what about $50k? What about those that can't
afford $10k? Racing is inherently expensive and one part of your ability
to compete will involve your wallet.

> I don't have a problem with Scotty having the cash he needs to race the
> way he wants.  I _do_ have a problem with his implication that if we all
> don't have that cash it's too damn bad.  PARTICULARLY when we're talking
> about a class that just had its entry fee doubled by a car that doesn't
> belong there.

The issue of the appropriateness of the M3 in ESP is one thing (and a
valid discussion). The cost of the cars in the class is another, as is
classing issues in general.

*But* the spending level is an entirely different thing. I will say it,
coming from a very low budget autocrosser, if you don't have the cash to
play in your chosen class, too bad. That is the way it works in all
classes. Sucks sometimes to be on the losing end. I guess that makes me
a dickhead too, but at least I am in good company.

Now, before anyone flames away...this point has nothing to do with ESP
specifically, or the M3. You just can't take *your* idea of an ability
to spend and declare it to be the litmus test of all that is fair. There
are almost always going to be people with more time, money, help, tires,
and/or talent out there. Just right the letters, and focus on driving
and preparing as well as you can with what you have.

rEc..damn..I need a middle name that starts in A instead of 'Enzo'.