Re: Yet Another ESP Post

To: "Team Autocross List" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Yet Another ESP Post
From: "msmith2" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 22:20:31 -0400
> >So, you're saying your car is as 'prepped' as Bob's?
>
> Other than weight, they are very similar.  (Other than noted engine
> diffs.)  Our sway bars and spring rates differ by 10-15% or so.  (Hey I
> have to have something different so I can blame the car when he beats me
> ;) Bob was running the 3.38 rear diff last time I checked. I have the
> '97 stock 3.23 rear diff. Oh yeah, I still have a front strut bar, Bob
> does not.
>
> Now, Bob's car is ~120 lbs lighter than mine, BUT Bob probably weighs
> ~60 lbs more than me.  (Sorry if I'm off Bob ;)

So, yours isn't done either.....

> >Are you saying yours is both prepped and sorted?
>
> Nope, I still have work to do, but I'm not the M3 benchmark, Bob is.

Contrary to popular belief, ANY M3 is a benchmark. Ok, Bob's is tops right
now, but ANY M3 is equally comparative.

With all the attention focused on the prep level of the ponycars, nobody
seems to have asked whether or not the M3s are done either. From what I've
gotten so far, they're not.

For that matter, when exactly, is a car "done".

> > [3.2 under development yadda yadda]
> >So, again, the M3's aren't prepped to the limit either.......
>
> Both of us are running the best/current mods that you can get for our
> engines right now.  Of course tuners are always working, but no one has
> come up with anything better yet (that's legal in SP).

I'm not just talking engines..... Let's face it, M3s have a single year of
development in them. What do you think will happen after 4 or 5+ years like
current ESP cars.

> Stock SACHS.  I have a 9 lbs flywheel and was told that going to a
> lighter clutch would not be good for the diff/driveline.

But it might be faster, no?

> > What kind of wheels?
>
> 17x9, 17 lbs.

Ditto. (well ok, ours average 19lbs)

> Do I really have to answer this one? ;) (245/40/17 Hoosiers) Current
> theory is that we'd not be able to get 275/40's hot enough to be
> stickier than the 245/40's.  I don't know if I buy into that theory (I
> think it will be course and weather dependent), but I'm not convinced
> enough at this point in time to pay the $$$$ to flair my fendors and
> find out I was wrong.

As a constructive point, the DSMs, which weigh about the same, would rather
run 275s if they'd fit the fenders.

Mike