Re: Shift knobs/C&C and sun in your eyes

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shift knobs/C&C and sun in your eyes
From: "Lisa E." <clash_girl@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 10:51:49 -0400
My 95 (To Steve B., yes, it's a 1.8L) came with one-piece visors about 4-5"
wide, as opposed to earlier models that had folding visors that folded in
half (stay with me, you'll see why this is important....)

To drop the top (and I do unless it's really raining) I would have to move
the big 1-piece visors down to unlatch the 2 latches at the windshield
header, unlatch, unzip the window, then put the top down and return the
visors to the original position.  Owners of earlier models could skip the
visor-moving part, because the foldy ones don't get in the way of the
latches.

So I got some foldy visors from someone who had removed his and planned to
use them for convenience.  Once they were installed, I found that they would
often move about and flop when subjected to hard cornering -- admittedly a
function of my lack of musclepower when installing them (you push them up
into a plastic trim piece with a hole for the visor, and I didn't push hard
enough).  Anyway, one day they drooped and I got annoyed and yanked them
both out -- meaning to reinstall them better later, but I realized I never
use them anyway (there's very little time when they actually block the sun -
I think from 5:45-5:55 p.m. eastern time if you're headed westbound) so I
just left them out....

A lot of Miata owners pull them because they find them pretty useless and
they hinder fast top-drops...

I have pictures of my first spin at last week's autocross in Ft. Knox, KY at
http://www.geocities.com/clash_girl/autocross.html  if you are interested.
You can click on a picture to make it bigger.  I bet the visors would have
drooped on that spin... :)

Lisa