RE: Impact Wrenches

To: Brent DeWitt <bdewitt@ix.netcom.com>, Ray Gahan <ray.gahan@pgs.com>,
Subject: RE: Impact Wrenches
From: Travis Lane <gofastlane@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 06:55:12 -0700 (PDT)
Here's part of a private reply that I sent; I figure it's just as good for
mass consumption:

You got me to thinking, so I went out and did some tests.  It turns out the
it's good up to 80ft*lbs, I'll be damned, the manual was right.

Number of seconds of impact          Torque(ft*lb)
         0                                15
         1                                35
         3                                65
         5                                75
         7                                80

BTW, after 4 days of diligent searching, the Makita was all that I could find
in a cordless 1/2" drive impact wrench and I was specifically looking for the
Snap-On.  Pray tell, where does one find it?

Travis
who's E30 has a torque spec of only 68ft*lbs.

--- Brent DeWitt <bdewitt@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Glad it worked out well for you Travis!
>
> For folks looking for a higher torque reference:  The Makita is _honestly_
> (what a surprise) rated.  I tried to remove the lugs on my Neon which were
> tightened via torque wrench to 95 ft-lbs and it wouldn't budge then after 15
> seconds.  I really hoped the Makita would rise to the task, but the Snap-On
> (add $150) is the only battery powered impact that has worked.
>
> Other data points are _very_ welcome!
>
> Brent

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com