Re: Gear ratios and autoxing

To: "Travis Lane" <gofastlane@yahoo.com>, "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>,
Subject: Re: Gear ratios and autoxing
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 22:41:59 -0500
From: Travis Lane <gofastlane@yahoo.com>

>2) Will you be using 1st or 2nd gear primarily?
>   -Do you have a very tall first gear (Viper, Ferrari, etc.)...
>   -or a very short one (*blinks*, sorry, can't think of one)

I can think of two:  My (former) Midget and my Lotus Europa.  On some
courses, I am in second before the start-timing line.

>In my Eagle Talon in DC region, I would shift into first at most events,
but
>almost never in SF region.

I can't think of any course where I would shift into first in the Lotus.

>a) You'll want to keep the car in the powerband as much as possible, of
course
>(perhaps more of a concern with Turbos)
>
>b) It's OK to bang off the limiter (although I wouldn't recommend 1st gear
in
>a Geo Metro through the whole course)

I had a good limiter in the Midget:  Valve size.   It is not possible to
over-rev a legal Street-Prepared Midget.  I rather doubt it is possible to
over-rev a Midget even with a hot cam if the valves are stock-size.

The Lotus will have to depend on driver discipline.  I have no limiter, and
it seems clear to me that a stock Europa engine with header and side-draft
Weber is more than capable of hurting itself.

>c) Generically speaking, it's probably best to go a little taller on fast
>courses (where you'll be limiting) and a bit smaller on tight courses
(where
>you'll be U-turning) and maybe taller and use 1st on the U-turns if the
course
>has both.

>d) Most importantly!  You'll want to take a full pit crew and three rear
ends
>with you so you can swap after you walk the course.

Better idea:  Phantom.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
LOON, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/
"If I can do it, it's not art"  - Red Green