Re: Gear ratios and autoxing

To: gofastlane@yahoo.com, gs96@sgi.net
Subject: Re: Gear ratios and autoxing
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 09:12:42 EDT
In a message dated 6/10/00 3:21:34 AM Central Daylight Time,
gofastlane@yahoo.com writes:

<< I heard someone mention, somewhere along this thread, that you could only
 switch final drive/diff. due to updating/backdating.  Is this true of SM?  It
 doesn't seem logical, but rulez is rulez.

 I believe that 14.10.N. pretty much covers those of us in SP and 15.10.S.2
for
 Prepared and Mod, well, is Mod and all three allow liberal changes outside of
 the update/backdate rule.  Can someone confirm that I'm reading the SP
section
 correctly. >>

Update / back is all you get in SP, but SM is very different here. If the
gear fits you can run it. This was one of the allowances for the pony cars,
Mustangs and such. Many of the street driven stangs have lower rear gears for
drag racing.

Of course in My Celica case, every gear I have tried has been available in an
82-85 Celica, so it would even be SP legal, (IF) I swapped in the whole 85
rear sub froe to hold the diff housing without mods. Now it has new holes
drilled in the frame since the Supra center housing is larger and the holes
are different. But in 85, the last year for rear drive Celicas, they only
made the bigger diff, so the Celicas got them.

Common ratio was 3.90, and you could get 3.42  3.73  and 4.10

Not bad for an FSP car  ;-)    too bad many of the things on my car are not
SP legal.

Gary M.