Re: JR CART POLL

To: "HEYWARD WAGNER" <h_kenyon@email.msn.com>,
Subject: Re: JR CART POLL
From: "Steven Eguina" <seguina@unionfundingusa.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:12:16 -0700
Jr Karts have been running at National Tour and Pro Solo events on the West
Coast for a couple years.  My two boys run, Tom Berry's two girls run, and
Guy Ankenys son  runs.  Cal Club has a Jr Kart Class with 5 or 6 entrants
each month.  We run the karts in the first run group after lunch every
month.  The karts run B/4 the cars and at the end of the group for second
drivers.  They take all three or four runs back to back. Because they run
the same group each month the course workers put in a minimal amount to
extra time ONCE EVERY SIX MONTHS.

  Does it slow down the event?  Not really.  Last week the Jr Kart times
were Low 54 sec's to high 58's.  F-Stock top time 54 Sec's  These are 5 HP
Briggs and Straton Karts.  These kids are really fast and a lot of fun to
watch.  Three of the kids will be running full size cars next year. I'll
predict they won't last in the novice class 3 events and they will be in
the top 3. They are not 16 so they can't work course.  However, they work
timing, posting, pre-grid, the gate and help tear down the course at the
end of the day and do it willingly! ! ! They are the future of our sport.
All the kids maintain a B average or they don't race.  But they still have
to go to the event and work. ( grades have never been better) .

Should Jr Karts be at Nationals.  I would say no.  First, almost all kids
are back in school that week.  Second,  with the number of cars etc. in the
lot, its not a great place, with all the distractions for kids to be
roaming around. Also, It would effect the event if you had inexperienced Jr
Kart drivers.  How do you pre qualify who has experience?  ( I know, same
with adults however thats not the question).

I would say to those regions who don't have a Jr Kart program.  As long as
your ego can take getting beat by a child in a kart with a lawn mower
engine, start a program.  Lets the kids have fun and don't be like little
league parents. IMHO
Steve Eguina # 86 ESP

> From: HEYWARD WAGNER <h_kenyon@email.msn.com>
> To: TEAM.NET <autox@autox.team.net>
> Subject: JR CART POLL
> Date: Tuesday, June 13, 2000 11:24 AM
>
> I am composing a letter to Howard Duncan concerning Jr. Carts in Topeka.
As
> of right now they are not scheduled to appear.  In order to support my
> argument I would like some feed back from those of you who have Jr.
Carts,