Re: Ayers Roll Hold the Mayo *Foster - You are a sad, sad man*

To: HEYWARD WAGNER <h_kenyon@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Ayers Roll Hold the Mayo *Foster - You are a sad, sad man*
From: Pat Kelly <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 15:54:16 -0700
    I can't stand it any longer...and have to interject an observation. Over
the years, most car rollovers seem to follow a three or more gate
slalom-like problem followed by a right hand turn. From what I could gather
from Matt Murray's art, that's what happened at Ayer. The high CG cars,
mostly econoboxes find that, though the wheels want to go right, the upper
weight of the car still wants to go where the momentum is taking it. I'm
sure a physicist can explain this with a wonderful equation, but the result
will be the same: over we go! It even happened on the north course at
Topeka, and that was aggravated by a unsmooth part of the pavement, as I
recall.
    I think course designers should keep as a rule of thumb in the back of
their minds not to use this kind of a problem, the weight of the driver,
plus the higher CG can cause such a vehicle to tip over. Now, if the driver
is on the right side of the car, the conditions are reversed...right hand
drive Minis, tho I've never seen one of those tip over.
--Pat Kelly