Re: S2000s and Miatas + 15HP

To: roadsterboy@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: S2000s and Miatas + 15HP
From: Stephen Bernard <solo-2@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 00:42:48 -0400
> Keep in mind the 2000 Miata is a bit heavier than your '99 Sport (or,
> for that matter, the '94-'97 R).  With the same equipment levels as a
> 2000, the 2001 will probably not gain that much from 15 hp.  And as far
as
> autoxing is concerned, you should also remember that extra 15 hp peaks
500 rpm
> higher.

The higher gearing could be an asset tho depending on
the course. I know it's tough to say how well the car will perform
until it actually comes out and is on course but an extra 15HP
is a definate plus at least it could be with a quality driver.
I don't regret buying my 1999 Miata I wouldn't want the
6 spd. but the extra 15hp would be nice.

> Unless they pump the Miata up quite a bit (say, to 175-180 hp), I
> think the 1.8L cars should stay in B Stock.

Well reality is that Stock cars get replaced far more easily than
Mod cars. New models all the time, a 180HP Miata would be nice
but I think the MR Spyder is far more likely to happen with
the Celica engine.

If the new Miata is an overdog letters will get written.

Steve Bernard
Red '99 Miata (B-Stock)
NER Region (Novice Class)
mailto:Solo-2@juno.com