Re: Mazda Commercial

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mazda Commercial
From: RacerFlash@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:25:25 EDT
In a message dated 6/22/00 10:03:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
moparman@mediaone.net writes:

<< i thought the reason they stopped US importing was due to emissions from
 what I was told. the car gets horrible mileage and it seriously affected
 their CAFE rating with the US Govt.

 if anybody knows different, speak up!

 I heard that they are bringing it back in the US for 2001 or 2002, rumor
 only. but I've seen pics of the 2000 model RX7. looks the same, just a
 little neat changes to the lights in the front and the taillights. >>

The pic you have seen of the 2000 RX7 are of the new model still being sold
in Japan.  The US 93-95 models had low sales and this is the main reason
Mazda stopped importing them.

There are plans for a new RX sports car with a rotary engine to come to the
states.  From what I have read, it will be smaller, possibly on a Miata or
Miata Type chassis, non turbo charged, and a lot less money (the 95 RX7 were
close to $40K sticker!)  The non turbo engine in the RX-Evolve show car put
out 280 horses!  Nice to see this engine on a Miata sized sports car!

Bob Gordon
SS#70 94 RX7