Re: the whole NT/participation thing [long]

To: "AutoX \(E-mail\)" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: the whole NT/participation thing [long]
From: "Steven T. Ekstrand" <cyberlaw@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 07:53:12 -0700
I'm a newbie (to autocross).  I won't be running a National level event
this year because I don't have a competitive car.  I'm running my tow
vehicle locally to learn about the sport while I'm converting one of my
drag cars to an SM car for next year.  Don't think I didn't consider
entering my Dakota in FS at the San Bernardino ProSolo, a chance to finish
last and have nobody seriously criticize my driving.  I don't think the
event filled, but I'm not sure.  If it had, I would have felt bad about
taking a spot away if I had decided to enter.  It was one of the reasons I
decided not to.

Full is full.  Yes, it would be nice to include everybody.  Reality says it
isn't possible without compromises and costs that are higher than the
benefit.  I would, however, like to see another event or two.  I was a
little surprised to see how few NTs and ProSolo's there are.  As the event
schedule grows it would have a some effect on the impacted events.

In NHRA Sportsman competition, the national events began drawing too many
entrants (especially when they introduced the Super Trash cateogories to
the National event level).  They have a point system based on divisional
participation.  You have to pre-register by a certain date.  If the event
is over-subscribed, they look at the points.  If the event is not full by
the pre-registration date it is first come.  There are many events were
points are simply not an issue, and others like the US Nationals and
Winternationals were it may take a full season of divisional races to get
in.

In Solo II, I'd give points for regional races and greater points for
divisionals.  Maybe even give points for Schools.  Once you've run a
National level event I'd probably exempt you in for the current year and
next.  Past National level victories in any class would exempt for life.
Other ways in might include co-drivers.  In NHRA, a car owner who changes
drivers can usually find their way in on a case by case basis (thats
actually how I got in my first event-as well as most of our client cars
running for the first time).  I would allow ONE co-driver to piggyback in
on an exempt or points earning entrant.

Not a perfect plan, but there isn't a right decision here.  Somebody is
going to be left out.  I doubt if anybody is going to want to track an
entry points system like this, but its an option to consider.  Send it in
earlier doesn't solve the problem.  It just creates an earlier problem and
encourages a situation where you're going to have a lot of late
cancellations.

-STE