Re: Wendover Site Info?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wendover Site Info?
From: Mike Shields <mshields@inconnect.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:21:32 -0600
On 06/27/00 at 08:01 AM, Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com> wrote:

> The Wendover course is fun but they keep recycling the same basic
> design (and sometimes the exact same pylon locations) year after year.
> Sure it's fun the first time but after running the same course 5 times
> it gets old. I sure hope they do something different this year but I
> am not expecting anything new.

You know I tried setting a ProSolo course there once and because of the
narrowness of the site, you don't have much opportunity to do anything
different. Once you take into safety zones, etc, you only have about 200
feet width-wise for each side to work with. That makes most courses be
of a "wiggle out, wiggle back" sort.

About the only thing we could do is to turn the course 90deg from how it
is now and have each course head out and away from the other.
Unfortunately, the opposite end of the pad is more broken up (or about
to) than the end we use and would be near impossible for our 140 member
region to repair. We patch where our Solo Trials course is, but that's
about 10% of what we'd need to do. It might not look it but there are
enough surface cracks that the top layer would break up under the
stress.

While you're there, why don't you and I sit down and figure out
something different? I tried and failed.

> Now if Utah region could find a site in Salt Lake City, that would get
> me excited but Wendover leaves me underwelmed,

You get excited about Salt Lake City?? Hah! Most of us who live here
might like it, but we'd never get excited about it :^).

Mike

Mike Shields
Webmaster Utah Region SCCA
<http://www.team.net/urscca/>