Re: Peru National tour course

To: alextz@ss112.rsch.comm.mot.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Peru National tour course
From: "Don Kline" <solo2dmmr2@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:55:12 PDT
I know I'm considered crazy and stooopid but an apex cone is an apex cone.
if the gate is 15 feet wide or 100 feet wide "most" people will drive about
the same line.  While I agree that if the gate is a bazillion feet wide and
a driver can now enter at a velocity much higher than if it was narrower it
seems to me everyone still has to drive the same gate.  If the entry is such
that the "only" line that the drivers will take (especially after the
marbles appear) is 10 feet wide and the average car is no more that 6 feet
wide where is the problem???  Why not just have a pointer and not "outer"
definition to the gate???  As for the cone killing....The people that win
probably won't be killing the cone.  As "difficult" as it may be to navigate
a course with a "narrow" gate The *vast* majority of drivers will still
manage to miss the cone.  All the above statements are my own opinion (not
shared by some or many, take your pick), and are based on not looking at the
map.  I didn't enter in time,(no crying here) and even if I did see it it
wouldn't matter what was on the map.    iiwii (it is what it is).

in HIS grace thru Jesus,
Don

It was written:

also, From Roger the real Johnsons course design handbook,
you generally should make a course that has gates that are on the order
of 20 ft wide. Remember, 15 ft is the SCCA minimum. If you make the gates
narrow
in places to "slow down" competitors, all that will happen is a cone killing
mess that will bog down timing, give reruns because workers cant replace
cones
fast enough.

Instead make the gates wide, but more out of the way. That will force the
cars
to slow down, but to do a maneuver, not emergency lane change out of the
way.
Not to mention it makes them pick a line, and the better drivers will drive
better lines