RE: Corvette Z06 Torque

To: "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Corvette Z06 Torque
From: "Jim Howard" <howardje@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 06:41:46 -0400
The interesting thing about the Motor Trend article was the statement that
the synchros were shot and that the clutch was slipping on the Z06.  They
said that they were having alot of trouble with the 1 to 2 shift.  GM is
still claiming that the car is capable of 0 to 60 in 4.0 flat.  WIth good
equipment, that is definitely obtainable.  I'm sure that GMHTTP will get
there.

Its too bad that Motor Trend decided to run the comparison with a crippled
car.  I guess that they had to beat everyone to the punch with a Z06 on
their cover.

The Motor Trend test took place at Waterford Hills in Michigan.  According
to a quote from the Corvetteforum:

"Waterford Hills is our local
privately-owned club-racing course for small-bore cars, and is old, narrow,
bad surface, short, twisty, and totally unsuitable for anything over 3
liters, although the Formula Vees and Miatas love it. Trying to make an
objective evaluation of any big-bore V8/V10-powered car at Waterford Hills
is like trying to run Formula 1 on a go-kart track."

Sounds like a typical autocross track!

Also, Car and Driver has a test.  They got 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and quarter
mile in 12.7 @113.

See ya!

Jim Howard