Re: Maps of the Peru National Tour Courses

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Maps of the Peru National Tour Courses
From: "Keith A. Edwards" <kedwards@norfolk.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 06:35:28 -0400
"Steven N. Burkett" wrote:
SNIP
> It's absurd to think that someone who can spend thousands on car
> prep and tires and travel hundreds of miles to compete can't find a way to
> get access to the Internet for 10 minutes.

Gee, there's a lot more to "getting on the Internet" than walking into a
public library, etc.  Having minimal mouse skills and being able to
accurately type a URL are also necessary.

For the last several years, I have shown numerous course workers how to
operate the local club's timing program (Acucross on a laptop).  It
surprises me how many people (typically >30 years old) who have _no_
computer skills.

They often express embarrassment in not being able to use a computer.
The owner of multiple Porsches immediately comes to mind.

> Anyone without access to the Internet, please raise your hand...  ;-)

Don't forget.  Being able to receive E-mail does not necessarily mean
web access...

I don't feel course maps should be posted on the Internet (or otherwise
published) in advance.

Keith Edwards, who used to be responsible for training 100s of "highway
department" workers on how to surf the Internet, several years ago
Suffolk, VA
http://www.norfolk.infi.net/~kedwards/
5.25 CRXs