My pads are out there

To: "'autox'" <autox@autox.team.net>, "'neon'" <neon@iastate.edu>
Subject: My pads are out there
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:45:24 -0500
Howdy all.

Last weekend I was swapping my tires out and I did a casual brake system
inspection.  Y'know, "yup there's still meat on the pads and there are no
nicks or leaks in the hoses".  My front Carbotech pads are wearing fairly
quickly and at this rate will only last about a year.  That's cool with me
for their performance.

The thing that bothered me was that the factory rear pads were sitting
visibly pretty far off of the rotors as the car sat with no load on the
hydraulic braking system.  Every other disc brake setup that I've ever
looked at had the pads riding very closely to the rotors.  Or there was a
tiny enough gap that they looked like they were actually riding on the
rotors.

But my rear pads were/are riding about 1/16th" off of the rotors.  Is this
normal??  I thought that they were suposed to be "self-adjusting" and stay
nearer to the rotors.  Also, my parking brake has been very marginal in it's
holding ability since day 1.  There is no adjustability (that I know of) in
the parking brake system and this slightly bothers me as well.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T
#69 DS    #13 TLS
eric10mm@qni.com