RE: MR2 crash bolt problems

To: "'Randy Chase'" <randyc2@home.com>, "'Dick Willy'" <mr2willy@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: MR2 crash bolt problems
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:26:04 -0500
> I'm using Toyota crash bolts on my MR2 ('94), and I started having a
problem
> with losing my camber after installing new struts.  Any suggestions for
> curing the problem?

Lots of torque. A LOT. You may want to try new bolts if the old ones do
not hold. This kept happening on my car, so I eventually used a wrench
with a 2 foot bar on it, and put most of my (ever increasing) weight on
it. Note, I am not a big guy, so your torque may vary.
=================================
Dunno about the MR2 crash bolts, but on the Neons we have to tighten them to
150ft/lbs so they'll hold.  Any less and they won't reliably hold thier
settings.  And then they're only good for one stretch cycle.  If you have to
loosen them up for any reason just pitch 'em and buy another set for $17
because they'll never again hold that majic 150ft/lb setting again.

Blue Loctite also works wonders as does a fresh liberal layer of wet spray
paint (to match your strut's color) before tightening the bolts down.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T
#69 DS    #13 TLS
eric10mm@qni.com