Re: hassled by The Man (was Re: Maps and window decals)

Subject: Re: hassled by The Man (was Re: Maps and window decals)
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:18:41 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Stephen Bernard wrote:
> > In my mind, the fix for this is to raise the speed limit 5mph and
> > start
> > ticketing anyone that's .01 mph over the new limit.  Publicised
> > correctly,
> > it'd have a positive effect on the populous, and the whole "the cop
> > didn't
> > like me" thing would get tossed away.  If we continue to rely so
>
> This won't work unless speedometers can be calibrated and
> sealed. Also allowing a different size tire would mean recalibrating
> the speedo all over again. This would be very costly and you can
> BET that the Car Manufacturers won't do it. Far too much liability.

It's awfully funny that with lots of other rules that specify limits this
isn't a problem.  See, for example, minimum weight rules in roadracing.

Now, any reasonably intelligent racer will set their car's weight at 10
lbs or whatever over the limit to deal with scale differences.  Some folks
will spend more money so that they're confident that 5 lbs over is enough
margin.  Some folks are stupid and set their car's right at the min
weight.

The enforcement is the same however.  One bit more than the min weight and
you're gone.

Now tell me why that can't apply to speed limits?

Mark