Re: hassled by The Man (was Re: Maps and window decals)

To: Autocross List <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: hassled by The Man (was Re: Maps and window decals)
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:24:11 -0700
Goodale7 wrote:

> Should.......not.......reply............
> A good friend and past National Champion took me aside month's ago when
> I said I was on team.net.  He gave me some advice which I didn't follow.
> I am much wiser know.  He said" never, ever, ever, ever, reply or post
> anything on team.net."  You know who you are, and I will listen closer
> to your wisdom.

I disagree with that advice Jon. My advice would be to ignore 90% of the
posts and seek out the 10% of things are helpful, relevant, or
entertaining. Like any communication on the internet, it helps to assume
that the person writing whatever you are reading meant well...or at
least it was an attempt to be humorous. Too many times we read more
malice into mail than was ever intended.

I would humbly suggest
Hanlon's Razor:

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity."

And:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein

The very common error one finds on usenet or email lists is the
perception that one person's post represents more than one person's
view. In this case, you may have 800 silent people and one vocal poster,
but it *seems* like somehow that one person's post means more than one
guy babbling. I suggest it does not. If you walked into a party of 800
people and one guy was talking to himself about how cops are corrupt,
would you feel compelled to leave the party? Would you even care much?

Now, speaking as one who used to be in the class of individual known as
"long haired hippy" that the other Jon refers to, I can say he has a
point. The difference is in how he perceives the motivations of the
officers. I used to get pulled over about once per week. I knew it was
because I fit a profile, and accepted it as such. Yes it sucked...but
looks do matter. Yes, a slammed Honda will get pulled over more in some
regions.

And not all cops are perfect, and the instances of imperfection stick
out more than the 1000 more times nothing odd happened. And more people
will feel compelled to post about occurences than non-occurences, if
that makes sense.

I can truly say I have met a couple of "unfortunately motivated" cops,
but I have met a larger percetnage of idiots in just about any
profession. My personal experiences (and I had enough speeding, racing
tickets by age 19 to lose my license) was that most officers were very
professional and reacted well when treated accordingly......just like
people in other professions.

Anyway, this is a long winded way of saying that Team.net is not better
for you leaving or refusing to post. I wish you would reconsider.

Randy Chase
"If the only tool you have is a hammer, all problems appear to be nails"
-Goethe