Re: Stock class rules was (Re: Sequential Stock Cl

To: Mike Lamfalusi <lamfalus@excite.com>
Subject: Re: Stock class rules was (Re: Sequential Stock Cl
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 13:16:01 -0700

Mike Lamfalusi wrote:

I'm sure you're aware of the simple fact that racing
> toe alignment of a car often makes it annoyingly twitchy at highway speeds,
> or the simple fact that if you are driving quite a distance to Nationals
> with weird alignment settings, your street tires aren't going to last very
> long.

My car is my daily driver, it is not trailered. I drove it to Denver,
Topeka, and elsewhere. It has a relatively radical camber/toe settings.
I leave it on -2.7 degrees of camber (front) all the time (unless it
slips!) and toe out on the front, and a LOT of rear toe in.

The street tires on it have gotten better life since it was aligned this
way. I am still on the same tires I drove to Topeka on in 1997. And yes,
I did okay Nationally. Not sure I can say I enjoyed carrying 4 tires in
a 2 seater car though.

I am sure this does not apply to ALL cars, but it's a datapoint to
balance the assumption that all stock autocross cars will chew up tires
using an autocross alignment.

I see the bigger advantages of trailering your car to be convenience,
more storage, rain tires, you can legally leave stickers on, and less
general wear and tear overall on your autocross car. For me, it would
also mean I would probably not leave so much crap in the trunk when
competing.

Randy Chase
'91 MR2 CS