Re: MR2 MKII alignment slipping

To: randyc2@home.com, mr2-interest@mr2.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MR2 MKII alignment slipping
From: bluemr2@juno.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:46:14 -0400
On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 10:34:02 -0700 Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com> writes:

> Sounds more like a slipping crash bolt. The first symptom that it
> slipped is the steering wheel is now off centered. A quick and dirty

        My steering wheel is always off-center (right rear is a little bit bent
on my MR2) :-)  But yes, it was more than usual...

> While you have the car up, check to see if the tie-rods are tight.
> My
> guess is that they are, and you are having the camber slip.
>
> If the camber is slipping, get some new bolts, and next time use
> more
> torque to keep them from slipping. I always retighten my bolts after
> someone else aligns it.

        I ended up just having the stock bolts put back in...  The A032Rs didn't
really seem to like the negative camber anyway (about 1" of tread that
never appears to have done any work even in hard cornering in a parking
lot)...  Got a new alignment to go with...  Found out that the last
alignment was screwed up too...  The back end had 1/8" toe OUT instead of
IN...  Car did rotate real well, actually, it was incredibly twitchy...
:-O  Learned a new thing too...  Toyota does toe in inches with negative
being out and positive being in, my local Tire/alignment place/regional
Solo2 sponser type place measures toe in degrees with negative being
in!!!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.