Re: Costs in General

To: washburn@dwave.net
Subject: Re: Costs in General
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 19:50:41 -0700
washburn wrote:

> Car =         $8,000  (came with K&N insert, and Flowmaster muffler)
> Shocks =      $  300  (re-valving and de-gassing)
> Brake Pads    $  120  (not much more than stock)
> Alignment     $   60
>
> Total    $8,480.00 (not including tires...I only go through 2 sets of
> fronts a year)  Pro-rate over three years.  (Note - I am now running the
> stock muffler since I can hear the tires much better)
>
> I'm certainly not Daddio, but I placed 4th and 8th at Nats my last two
> outings, and can run competively this year when my head is not in a dark
> place. :)  Is this the $tock cla$$ your talking about that is so
> prohibitively expensive that you won't even go??

In some classes, and more than not, there is not the escalation towards serious
$$$$ - but will I drive 1800 miles one way when in *my* class I know that I will
face both talent and $$$$? Not really, unless I "had a chance". And, in my
mind, I
do think of a "chance for first".

I am truly glad to know that you are successful without the need for $$$$.
Say...... do you suppose you would you beat your 'stock' self if you had those
$$$$ shocks on your car?

Please note here the total lack of any implication that someone taking full
advantage of the rules is in any way part of the problem. I am simply stating
the
case for a return to Stock (flags waving in the background....., patriotic music
wanders in). I am suggesting (for your consideration) that the stock variences
now
in existence hurt participartion more than they help. Period.

Remember when Showroom Stock first hit the race tracks? Did a few racers show
up?
And wasn't the recent allowance of "trunk kits" such a grand idea that made
everything better........  ;-)

More allowances, more rules are not always better. They always open other
issues.

Let's go back to K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple SCCA  :-)

Thanks,

Scott Meyers
Currently C Stock in an underdog car, as always......