Re: Stock class reclassings...the sky is falling? (NOT!)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stock class reclassings...the sky is falling? (NOT!)
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 01:55:54 EDT
Jamie Sculerati wrote:

<<Before everyone gets wound up, keep in mind that this proposal just
identifies typical cars in each class -- class philosophy, if you will.  I
can't imagine that it's the final proposal for all cars in all classes.  The
SCAC and SEB have never bought into the
BOB/all-versions-of-a-model-in-one-class (let alone all years) arguement
before, and IMO, it's unlikely they will now.  So Celicas, Civics, Preludes,
Golfs and other cars which have evolved over the last 20 years will probably
end up parcelled out among classes by generation much like they are now.

Let's at least argue about what was written...not about what wasn't! >>

((( warning, rant mode on )))

It was written and is posted on the SCCA web page.

http://www.scca.org/news/tech/seb/6-4-00.html

Celica GT ALL and Celica ST pushed in with the MX6 V6 and Probe GT V6 as well
as many other hot GStock cars from only a couple years ago. As far as Celica
STs go, the 94-97 like my 95 is about as good as they get, and they still are
quite weak compared to ALL of the other cars listed for Class 8

I know very well that power is not everything. But look at all of the specs
on these cars, AND past performance. An MX6 4 cylinder came in second at last
years nats to Jeff in his ST, they were very close, now the proposal has the
V6 MX6 is in the same class as the Celica ST and without listing the 4
cylinder car it ends up by default in Class 9, as does the current ES Neons
which will probably walk all over that class as well. I can understand some
of the listings, but it needs alot more thought.

If I had bought my car a few years sooner and actually got to run it
competitively for awhile, I might not be so upset by the proposed moves. But
I am sure anyone who made a car purchase based on autocrossing it, only to
have it bumped up 2 classes the year after you bought it would leave you
upset. The car has been around several years, and EStock now is a good fit. I
knew it was going to EStock when I bought, but now to basically GStock???
While better equiped cars are going down to the new HStock???

I am basically out a good chunk of money I spent on the car and prep with
only one year to make it work before I get slammed. I am still just learning
to drive it well and tune the setup. Resale value is not great to begin with
on a 70,000 mile car, let alone all of the money I have already spent on it.
Do you think there is any market for a used set of Konis for a car with no
chance of winning anything??

Gary M.

P.S.  Jamie, since you beat a Type R with your Prelude, we have to move all
Preludes to DStock now, and the poor Type-R's should go to E, right?

P.P.S. Sorry for the multi post, I did only send my post once, if this shows
up more than once, it is not me. Maybe AOL, but I should be on cable modem
soon to remove that.