Re: Police the real issue

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Police the real issue
From: "goodale7" <goodale7@gateway.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 08:57:32 -0600
Phil O. and Bruce B. as you know you can't change peoples opinions about
law enforcement only try and educate.  Some of the comments I've seen on
this thread make me think that people are mad because they got caught
breaking the law and they're a better driver, in a better prepared car
and a card carrying member of the SCCA.  I've only been in law
enforcement for 5 years and most of our patrol Sgt's don't want to see
anyone write traffic tickets.  Being a Sheriff's Office we get $0.00
from every ticket we write.  If it goes to court it cost's the county
money in over time.  I got stopped returning from the Fort Worth Tour
this year.  76 in a 70.  4 lane divided highway,  4x4 chev. p/u with a
snow plow frame towing a trailer, Colorado plates.  Writen warning. If I
got a ticket I would have mailed the check when I got home. I was
breaking the law.  No I didn't show him my badge or tell him I was a
cop.  On to the subject at hand, and accurate facts.

> Many police officers are killed every year by motorists who lose
control of
>their vehicles and run a police officer over or run into a police
cruiser...

Todd Green wrote;

>According to this site, 47 out of 740,000 officers were killed in
>automobile accidents (note that is total, not just those who were hit
>outside their cars) in 1998, and 7% of all police fatalities are caused
>by being struck by a vehicle.  If you are the family, I'm sure one
death
>classifies as "many", but statistically, I would argue otherwise.

According to the FBI web site; (I'll let you read the 102 page report
for 1998)

In 1998 78 law enforcement officers died in duty related accidents.

Auto accidents                46
Motorcycle accidents       2
Aircraft accidents              4
Struck by vehicle (traffic stops/roadblocks)        4
Struck by vehicle (directing traffic/assisting motorist)    10
Accidental shootings        3
other (falls/drownings,etc.)        9

14 struck by vehicles and killed out of 78 = 18%

This doesn't count the 61 officers that were feloniously (on purpose)
killed.

14 struck by vehicles and killed out of 139 = 10%

"Just the facts sir"
I hope the math's right, just finished a 12 hour shift.

Jon Goodale
"Warning!  You want a warning?  O.K., I'm warning you not to do that
again or I'll give you another Ticket."