RE: Police The issue

Subject: RE: Police The issue
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:00:12 -0500
> > And I question yours for using the cell phone while driving.
> Unless it is a
> > hands free unit, then consider yourself stereotyped. I make
> absolutely no
> > apologies on this one.
>
> So manual tranny cars are out too, right?  After all, you have to have one
> hand off the wheel to shift.
>
> Passengers aren't allowed in your world either, correct?  They could
> easily distract you from the road.

Even a hands free cell phone takes a lot more of your brain away from
driving than shifting or holding a conversation with a person in your car.

Yes, unruly children and other occasional items are just as distracting as
phone conversations.  Most of them do not last as long as many of the phone
conversations that I have observed.

Reliable research has shown that normal cell phone conversations put you on
a par with a driver who is over the legal limit for alcohol.

Similar research has shown that driving while very sleepy is even worse.  I
will normally pull over in a parking lot for a cat nap if I am in that
condition.  Cell phone users should consider the same thing.