Re: DTN Nomination - Brian Beckman

To: oblique@alum.mit.edu, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: DTN Nomination - Brian Beckman
From: "Brian Beckman" <brianbec6@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:43:38 PDT
wow!  how nice to be nominated out of the blue like that.  i accept the
nomination and will tell you a bit about myself:

BS physics, '78, U. Southern Cal.; PhD Astrophysics, *83, Princeton.  worked
at Jet Propulsion Lab, part of Caltech on GPS and moved quickly into
software.  My main claim-to-fame there was writing the first version of the
Time Warp Operating System with David Jefferson and Peter Reiher.  This
brought me to the attention of Microsoft, where I migrated in '92, and where
I still am, working on systems and languages.

i have always been a motorhead.  through grad school, i drove Volkswagens
because i could afford them and i could fix them.  i rebuilt my motors so
many times i could do it really fast from memory.  this also made me
valuable to friends and family.

after getting a real job, i leapt into Corvettes, my secret passion from
youth.  i bought a new '86 Z51 automatic ironhead, almost the same as Roger
Johnson's.  i still have ol' betsy, now with 130K miles on her, and
occasionally drag her out & run Super Stock.  I discovered Solo II in '88
and competed almost every weekend in Southern Cal and NWR through '92.  I
figure I logged over 200 events in SoCal, but i didn't keep real accurate
records.  Lots of Cal Club, San Diego, NWR, and Las Vegas people know me
from way back then.

broke ol' betsy in '94 and sat out till '98, which i shouldn't have done.
Now running a '98 Mallett 'vette in
whatever Open Street classes i can get into.  Doing more hillclimbs and Solo
I this year, but last year was all Solo II.  Working on a couple of
Mod-class Solo II rides for next year.

now that my acceptance speech is over, i have to say that if i *were* chosen
as DTN, i would have to decline this year because the dates of Nationals
conflict with a family get-together in Alaska that's been planned for more
than a year.  so, see, i got you to read through all the chest-thumping to
get to the secret message :-)

thanks very much, Paul, for thinking of me!  it really is heartwarming.