Re: DTN- SCCA CEO

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: DTN- SCCA CEO
From: "Steven T. Ekstrand" <cyberlaw@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 00:41:03 -0700
Well said indeed Mr. "Sipenator"

And come on...For a newbie or somebody rusty in a borrowed car there is
much more concern for parts breakage or wear in a stick car than an
automatic.

And as somebody who has coached rich guys with "Sports Cars" going to the
drag strip and learning to speed shift for the first time....  There can be
a big difference between street driving a Porsche and slinging the short
stick in furious battle.   Johnson may simply be conservative and cautious
in this regard.  Traits I admire in somebody with little experience
stepping into my car!

I think this could be a very cool event.  An important introduction to our
sport and a warm welcome.  Regardless of our individual concerns our his
selection and background.  He is the new boss and we ought make an effort
to support him in that role.  That's called enlightened self-interest!

I would think making an appearance like this driving at your first
nationals and as the new CEO would be a pretty intimidating experience.
Seems like he's jumping in with both feet.  That should be applauded and we
should make every effort to make the man comfortable.  Obviously, there are
going to be some fools out there that are going to take shots at the CEO if
he finishes down in the standings (where else would you expect an
inexperienced autocrosser to finish???).  He should be strongly supported
and welcomed for making the effort and joining in on the spirit of the
event.  Any thoughts on getting him to a warm up event or practice?
Allowing him some seat time and some instruction prior to the fire?  Just
to get him comfortable and confident in a car so he can enjoy the event
even more.

-STE