RE: SCCA article on IGN.com

To: <Mayhem83@isd.net>
Subject: RE: SCCA article on IGN.com
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 20:12:40 -0500
> All three Omni shots are of our cars.  The first is me in our
> rally car, second
> is Mary in her now deceased GLH Turbo and third is me at the
> second MAC does BIR
>
> event.  The bad thing is that these were used without permission or photo
> credit.  Does anyone that is web literate have an opinion on
> whether this is
> cool or not?

Definitely uncool.  Also illegal unless they have acquired permission from
the photographer or whomever the photographer has given authority for the
pictures.

All text and pictures (even this message) has an inherent copyright that
resides with it's creator.  It does not matter if there is a copyright
notice or not.

No one may use a copyrighted item (except for specific "fair use" reasons
that this does not meet) without obtaining permission.

If you are the owner of the copyright, you may have the person remove the
pictures and possibly pay damages.  If you did not mark the images with a
copyright notice, you may not sue for damages.

The best recourse would be to ask for proper credit to be given or to have
the pictures removed.