Re: Tire Questions

To: Jeff Brown <typer_801@yahoo.com>, "Team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tire Questions
From: Eric Moon <info@scca-susq.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:13:18 -0400
At 07:44 AM 7/17/00 -0700, Jeff Brown wrote:
>I just corded a set of BFG's in only 31 runs and am
>not too happy about their longetivity, but really like
>the tire otherwise.  I'm probably going to switch to
>the Kuhmo's because I hear they last much longer and
>are a little cheaper.  My questions are should I get
>them shaved since they've got soo much tread (6/32's)?
> And can I get them shaved and heat cycled through
>Mid-Atlantic (Hoosier Tom) or TireRack?  Thoughts?
>
>fwiw-they're being used on a GS TypeR and I'll be
>running 225 fronts and 205 rears.  TIA.
>
>Regards,
>Jeff

Jeff,

We run Kumhos on our Type R.  The "other" yellow at the Harrisburg Pro.
We start with full tread and don't really see an advantage to shaving them.
 They really get a lot of runs out of them, particularly the rears, since
the rear of our cars don't do anything.  Flipping the tire on the rim also
adds more runs.  Our rears (the tires, that is) have 120+ runs on them.
Fronts are good for 60 or so before they stop being competitive.  You can
run them for more, but they aren't as grippy.
We run the 225's on both ends and don't have any trouble getting the rear
end loose just by adjusting pressures.

In all, the Kumho is a good tire and we can't really figure out that they
were any slower than the much more expensive Hoosiers we've been running
the past couple of weeks.  In fact, we tested both tires on the same course
on the same day and times were consistently the same within .3 seconds.

Eric Moon
2000 Pennsylvania State Solo II Champion - G Stock
Co-Driver - Kosher Rice Racing G Stock '00 Acura Type R
'92 Miata - D Prepared Wannabe

e-mail:        info@scca-susq.com
pager:         7173297074@mobile.att.net

Appalachian Sports Car Club   www.scca-susq.com