Viper costs v other SS car costs (#272)

To: Teamdotnet <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Viper costs v other SS car costs (#272)
From: "Murray, Matthew D." <MDMURRAY@gwns.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 03:53:00 -0400
Just for reference:
Z06 Vette     $47,500 (can't remember if this includes dest.)
996 (911)     $65,590 (w/a few fun options, & dest. $68,xxx)
Boxster S     $49,xxx (options & dest. $52,xxx)

Matt Murray
mattm@optonline.net
Seriously though, the Corvette doesn't really bother me.  If the ZO6 becomes
the car to have, I can accept that.  For some reason, though, I get hung up
on the Viper.  In my mind the Viper is an exotic...something reasonably
beyond the limits of cost of a "stock car" in what is about the ultimate in
grass roots motorsports.

Yeah, I know, this cost thing is a real slippery slope.  There are already
cars in SS that cost more than the Viper, like the NSX and Lotus Esprit
Turbo. . .

. . . I also know that cars in the ultimate stock
class aren't going to be cheap.  However, I think there has to be a line
drawn somewhere to separate the "high end sports cars" (phrase from the SCAC
memo) that are Super Stock and the exotic cars that go straight to SP or
higher.  I think that drawing that line above the Viper is too high.

Steve Wynveen