Re: Wendover SS Results - Vette!

To: "TeamDotNet" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wendover SS Results - Vette!
From: "Steve Wynveen" <wynveen@ticon.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 02:34:11 -0500
> How do you think the C4 Vette drivers felt when your "Japanese Ferrari"
> first arrived on the Solo scene?
>
> Eric Linnhoff in KC
> #69DS    TLS #13
> '98 Neon R/T
> <eric10mm@qni.com>

The C4 guys probably didn't much care, since the 3rd gen was in AS way back
then :)

Seriously though, the Corvette doesn't really bother me.  If the ZO6 becomes
the car to have, I can accept that.  For some reason, though, I get hung up
on the Viper.  In my mind the Viper is an exotic...something reasonably
beyond the limits of cost of a "stock car" in what is about the ultimate in
grass roots motorsports.

Yeah, I know, this cost thing is a real slippery slope.  There are already
cars in SS that cost more than the Viper, like the NSX and Lotus Esprit
Turbo (has anyone ever developed and nationally campaigned either of these?
If the answer is no, is it because the car is too damn expensive, or because
no one saw potential in it?).  I also know that cars in the ultimate stock
class aren't going to be cheap.  However, I think there has to be a line
drawn somewhere to separate the "high end sports cars" (phrase from the SCAC
memo) that are Super Stock and the exotic cars that go straight to SP or
higher.  I think that drawing that line above the Viper is too high.

Oh well, I'm tired and probably not thinking 100% clearly right now.  This
is just something that's been bothering me since I first read the SCAC memo
some two weeks ago.  Now its off my chest and the world can flame me for it!

Steve Wynveen
Mercury Marine
R&D Engineer - Engine Development
1994 RX-7 R2, Vintage Red, #141 SS (Milw. Region)
slowly climbing the tall ladder of driving ability...slowly, slowly