Re: Solo II Operations Handbook

To: phillyscca@enter.net
Subject: Re: Solo II Operations Handbook
From: Chris Shepard <maverick@purplemtn.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:17:28 -0600
Howdy,
        Can't offer a cut-n-paste, but thought I should probably make a
comment on one thing in your excellent and very thorough document.

        Under "Course Workers", you admonish:

        "Finally, do not take friends, relatives, or spectators with you
        on this or any other working assignment."

        As an SCCA Club Racing Corner Worker (a guy in white),
I understand exactly what you're saying, but I might suggest that
you amend your statement for Solo II with something like "unless they
understand the gravity of, and are willing to pay strict attention to,
their responsbility for the safety of all concerned".

        I got into all this autocross stuff because I started out as
a road racing corner worker, and was inspired by the skills (and
thrills) I saw before me.  It also weighed heavily upon me that racing
(in any form) is an inherently dangerous sport, and that the lives of
the drivers I admired were in my hands.

        I captain corners for several autocross clubs, and I always
impress upon my workers the paramount need for safety.  "If there's
the slightest doubt...if you even think you saw...", wave that red flag
without a moment's hesitation!  Basically, I tell the rookies that
if they see something that doesn't "look right" to "go red" without
thinking about it.  (After all, stopping an autocrosser's run is not
like stopping a field of thirty Formula cars on the last lap).
The autox driver will love you for it, and if you stop long enough
to think whether or not danger exists, you have already made a major
mistake.  Safety is paramount...autocross workers don't just "pick up
cones".

        I will always thank the SCCA for bringing me into racing, as
a novice, as a "mere" corner worker.  I see no reason why Solo II
fans/spectators/relatives, etc., should not be allowed (or even
encouraged)
to share the second-best-seat in the house by becoming directly involved
in autocrossing under adequate supervision.

        Just my two cents.

--
Chris "Maverick" Shepard
Heartstopper Auto Racing, Bailey, Colorado