RE: Heat cycle for the DOT Race tires, needed or not?

To: "'Tharpe, Joe (RyTull Coil)'" <JoeT@ryersoncoil.com>,
Subject: RE: Heat cycle for the DOT Race tires, needed or not?
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 10:18:36 -0500
What I did on my DS Neon with my (then) new Kumhos was to deflate the fronts
to 20 psi and the rears to 18 psi and gor for a nice 30 mile trip up the
highway.  I stopped, bled the tires back down to 20F/18R and went back home.
I then took them off and let them sit for several days before I used them.

I know they got plenty of heat into them as when I stopped half way to bleed
them down they tossed a buttload of gravel up into my fender wells.

2 gallons of gas at (at the time) about $1.25/gallon and about an hour of my
time versus $15 per tire from the Tirerack.  You decide how much your time
is worth but I had two sets of tires to heat cycle and $120 buys a lot of
gas and event entries.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T
#69 DS    #13 TLS
eric10mm@qni.com

"I ask sir, who is the militia? It is the whole people...To disarm the
people, that is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." -
George Mason