Re: Heat cycle for the DOT Race tires, needed or not?

To: JoeT@ryersoncoil.com
Subject: Re: Heat cycle for the DOT Race tires, needed or not?
From: Stephen Bernard <solo-2@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:56:51 -0400
> I here from Tire Rack that the heat cycling process they put the
> racers about this I haven't found anyone that says the heat cycle
> process
> that the tire rack uses makes any difference as long as you heat
> cycle the
> tires on the car, such as doing circles in both directions in a

I was talking with "Hoosier Tom" at the National Tour and he
had said that Tire Racks heat cycling was just a sticker and
a waste of money. I too bought mine heat cycled from
Tire rack but next time I'll just buy them and crank around
hard on a few back roads etc... After your first Auto-x they'll
be heat cycled anyway.
My understanding is that they have to get to a certain temperature
and that temp has to be maintained for a certain time along with
stretching and pulling the tire ala driving hard left and right.
So when you think about it an Auto-X is the perfect place to heat
cycle them. A small non points event and 3 runs should do it
nicely then let the tires sit for 24 hours before driving on them.
Just a thought.

Steve Bernard
Red '99 Miata (B-Stock)
NER Region (Novice Class)