RE: Kit cars in Prepared

To: autox@autox.team.net, "'KWall73108@aol.com'" <KWall73108@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Kit cars in Prepared
From: "Colbert, Raymond J." <Raymond.Colbert@alcoa.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:25:04 -0400
Most of the kit cars currently on the market (even the Cobras) have some
"standard specs" from the manufacturer.  They also have optional engines
etc.  There are a lot of kits out there also.  They can be divided into a
few groups ie, Lotus, Ford V8, VW air cooled, MG, Miata, and Fiero. There
are some limitations to each kit and these will serve to govern these cars
in a Prepared class.  For instance a 550 Spyder kit can run a maximum 8 in
wide tire under the stock body work. This limits it to DOT tires only.  Make
al these cars run stock body work with tires that fit under it (no flares
and no exposed tread).  The Loti are in prepared already and they are all
(from day 1) considered kit cars!!!  There are limits on them.

The other issue is street licenses.  If a kit car is licensed  on the street
put it in an appropriate prepared class.  It is heavier by far than any  mod
car.  Why make the owner ruin the car to make it fast in Mod.

Why is street licensing so important? At least one place I have run in the
present requires a license on the car to run there.  As pavement tightens up
I suspect that with liability ins being what it is they may start to require
license and inspection.  (not at nationals but locally). For those of you
who care only about national events, think about your weekly events and how
far you like to drive on $2.00 per gallon gasoline. Think about you budgets
and how many events you run and how many your wives will let you run.

Why should kit cars be placed in Mod. because they are newly manufactured.
They actually are heavier and slower now than their predecesors in many
cases due to EPA and Dot regs.  Why should Loti and other low production or
kit vehicles be grandfathered into prepared and in some cases (TVR and
others) into Stock and Street Prepared just because they are old (but still
very fast)?  I suggest that the homologation number be dropped in Prepared
and brought up to date in Stock and S.P. for all cars.

Level the playing field!!!

Ray Colbert
Oakmont PA
1957 Vintage Spyder