Re: Kit cars in Prepared

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Kit cars in Prepared
From: KWall73108@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:28:02 EDT
--part1_9e.79bbd3f.26b1a0f2_boundary

In a message dated 7/26/00 3:18:48 PM EST, msoar@home.com writes:

<<
 Most of the Prepared classes have extremely tight specifications on exactly
 what modifications a car can run.  For my car, I am given minimum weight,
 max wheel size, valve dimensions, max track,  a choice between 2 specified
 carbs, a crankshaft spec and only 1 allowed type of brake swap (drums for
 Lancia Beta discs).  How would this be achieved for the (roughly) several
 hundred types of kit cars, with a wide variety of engine/chassis/suspension
 combinations?  Why is it fair to other competitors that a kit car would be
 kept in line only with "a suitable formula to prevent the driver from
 inflating HP and handling beyond what is reasonable for the street" as you
 suggest?  The Prepared rules developed from (more-or-less) looking at each
 car individually and trying to fit equalize it to all other cars in the
 class (I certainly wouldn't argue that this doesn't always succeed, but at
 least an attempt was made).

Aren't there rules stating the kit car has to go to the prepared class where
the original car that it's replicating resides and also exactly replicate the
mechanics of the original?

[...]

In our region we allow a Cobra kit car to run in ASP - it's not legal there,
but for local competition it's the best fit.  He knows that if he started to
win every event he would probably be protested and we would have to uphold
the protest, but he's been running for about 5 years and it hasn't been a
problem yet.  Once you move out of local competition and into Nationals,
though it IS necessary to have very specific rules and to enforce them
because there are always people who will push the rules for all they can get.

Maureen Soar
Oregon Region SCCA Solo2 D Prepared Fiat X1/9