Re: Heat cycle for the DOT Race tires, needed or not?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heat cycle for the DOT Race tires, needed or not?
From: Brian Weikert <gunther@magetower.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:15:41 -0600
As a 'rural' autocrosser (closest site is 90+ minutes away), heat-cycling
is something that simply wouldn't happen at all if I couldn't have it done
by the vendor (TireRack).  Since I only have one set of autocross
tires/wheels, I would have to drive *someplace*, mount the wheels, do the
heatcycling, dismount, and go home.  The problem is - where is the mythical
*someplace*?

For people who don't have a nice private parking lot with permission, where
exactly are you supposed to do heat-cycling on the car?  I'm quite sure the
state patrolmen wouldn't approve of me using public roads, and other than
the public roads, there simply are no paved spots which are large enough
(and unoccupied) to even think about doing heat-cycling.

I for one, am glad that TireRack offers the heat-cycling service, and it
was well worth the mere $60 if it will give me longer life on the $700
worth of tires.

Brian