Re: The Ultimate I-Class

To: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>, "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Ultimate I-Class
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 19:49:07 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>

> AFAIK, this is the only class that has _ever_ been created at the whim
> of one individual to be run by his rules that are _obviously_ defined to
> keep his particular car competive at all costs?!?

I normally stay out of these food fights, but this one's an undeserved cheap
shot, Paul.  In fact, while Dennis probably put in more of the front end
work than most (and taken nearly all the flak), he hardly dictated the
structure and rules for SM.  If you go look at the history piece Dennis
keeps on the SM website (http://www.wincom.net/trog/stu/rules2.html), there
are nearly 50 people identified as contributing something to the pot --
which sometimes took things in a direction Dennis (by his own admission)
hadn't anticipated.  The additions of a 4-liter allowance for blown pushrod
engines and a 6-liter allowance for naturally aspirated engines are good
examples -- these came from pretty obscure (as in Not Nationally Known, even
on team.net) people in the discussion and were adopted by the group.  And
yes, the exclusion list was a point of discussion -- *lots* of discussion.
But hardly a one-man development, and subject to further revision.  The
philosophy was "start small and expand," which seems to be working so far.

As for a means for Dennis to keep *his* car competitive at all costs, DSMs
were hardly obsolete in GS or ESP in 1998-99 (or '00, for that matter).

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr