Re: SM/SP

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SM/SP
From: "Dave Williamson" <ctautox@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:03:10 -0400
dg50@daimlerchrysler.com says:
>My educated guess is that SM==BSP and SM2==ASP, but that
>definately remains to be seen.

Uh, *HELLO*!!! What car took up nearly all of the BSP entries at last year's
Nationals? Corvette (37 out of 42, 2-240Z, 2-300ZX, 1-Supra Turbo). How many
seats does a Corvette have? 2. So, given your desire to have SM/SM2 take
over xSP, your presumption of SM==BSP and SM2==ASP would eventually put the
entire BSP Nationals field into SM2, because a 2-seater is illegal for SM.
Right? You expect Corvettes to be comparable to Elans, in a non-course
dependent manner?

<snipe>
Oh, wait. The lone BSP Supra Turbo is allowed in SM, even though it's really
a two-seater in a +2 body style. What about putting the Elan +2 in SM/BSP,
if you want to be consistent?
</snipe>

>As it sits _right now_ (so I'm leaving myself some wiggle room for
>later developments) I see no need for an "SM3" class -

"Later developments" being the lynch mob of CSP, DSP, and FSP drivers.

>For the other cars/classes, the primary reasons why they are
>slower than BSP is that the SP rules limit engine development
>so much. If they move to an SM class, they get to do engine work
>(or outright swaps) that give them the potential to match BSP times.

Okay, you tell me how to get a Triumph Spitfire (which is a reasonably
competitive car in FSP) to be competitive in SM2. Especially once the Elans
get to swap engines with Esprit Turbos. Ain't no freakin' way, dude.

And as others have pointed out, this really does not make fewer
classes/categories. It just makes sub-classes/categories.

To sum up, "Give the crack pipe back to Morton Downey, Jr." :-)

Dave W.