RE: SM/SP

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: SM/SP
From: "Eric Salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:21:23 -0500
This SM2 thing has me thinking. (which is both bad and expensive)

It sounds like if DG's idea were to come about it wouldn't be hard to put a
375 - 400hp normally aspirated 3.2-ish liter motor in a 2000 pound early 911
for only a few tens of thousands of dollars. With more money the power could
be north of 500.

As a proponent of the SM/SM2 concept I start to think it through and wonder
if it would quickly become the most expensive class to run in. ASP seems
like a dumb idea on the surface as the fast cars aren't 'street' but mostly
'prepared' and the rules require some expensive, hard to find parts. At most
of our local events my ASP car is a rarity in SP with it's complete interior

A $40k / 400hp motor in a 2000 pound car would certainly be something to
contend with. And a dog I don't want to fight!

All this said maybe SM as is good thing. It keeps the costs down and that
should encourage participation and membership. (and a lot of the non-member
Honda/Acrua set brings good looking female associates. Which I fully
endorse, support and encourage.) But, SM2 could be the CanAm of the new
century.

thanks,
1972 911 ASP, NRSCCA
2001 Nat's virgin -- hope, hope