Re: SM/SP

To: "Autox@Autox.Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SM/SP
From: "Marcus Merideth" <esp89@peoplepc.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 06:43:02 -0400
Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is obviously not safe to have an idea and express in on Team.net. The
idea Mr. Grant forwarded was mine. He and I were setting around shooting the
bull at the local Detroit Season Opener Sunday and we ended up discussing
the interesting fact that many of the local ESP crowd have moved to SM.  ESP
was huge in Detroit and now SM is huge with many muscle cars.  I have heard
all the complaints from people about the SP rules being old and not
representing the current state of modification in the real world.  And
amazingly enough I tend to agree.  I, someone who has spent many years and
more money than I care to admit developing an ESP Mustang.  I also would not
mind throwing a cam in my car and playing in BSP.  That does not scare me in
the least.  Locally here in Detroit some of the clubs allow cams in SP.
Kind of makes it less fun for me to show up at there events with out one.
It seems to me(my humble opinion not backed with anything more than my eyes)
that the majority of SP cars are getting older.  I know that is not a rule
just an observation on the local and Divisional events I attend.  I have a
little familiarity with the road race rules and they used something called
limited preparation rules to increase the competition in some of the
production classes.  So you end up with old cars to one set of  rules and
newer cars to a different set of rules.  Seems to be working for them.  I
know every extra class adds work to the administrative side of an event.  It
also dilutes competition in the classes.  BTW, Detroit has 160-220
participants at each autocross.  I like competition!!!!!!!!! It would seem
to me if we took the SM rules and after the real potential of the class
becomes evident, combined it with another class (what ever class) with two
sets of rules, we could then have competition and less classes.  Now I know
somebody is going to just chew me up for having an idea and an opinion.
Well let me explain something to you first off.  I don't really care what
you think of me personally and I read the digest when and if I get a chance.
So I will not defend an idea that was purely an idea and not a worked out
plan for world domination.  Oh, if I was working on world domination, you
would never know anyway.  In closing, allow an open mind to evaluate the
world and have a nice day.  Nothing is going to happen today anyway.

#89 ESP
Marcus Merideth