Scales and reality

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Scales and reality
From: "Mary Flinn" <laddle@cwnet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 21:43:20 -0700
I'm just borrowing a friend's e-mail, and she's just on the digest version, so
forgive me if someone pointed this out yesterday.   The few events I've run
that Mama Sam has had anything to do with have been absolutely top notch
events.  The competitors in the division that follow the divisional series
seem very straight up, and most if not all of the hotshoes go to Topeka for
Nationals (They being of the division closest to Topeka and all.).  It would
be silly of someone headed for nationals to drive an underweight car all year,
then add weight to it and essentially have to learn a different car for one
event.
    Similarly, since it seems the majority of entrants from out of the
division who travel to run the divisional series are looking for an edge
heading to Nationals, it would be really, really silly for them to knowingly
drive an underweight car and waste the testing time at that elevation (says he
from Colorado) and weather conditions, etcetera. If the competitors have
survived and keep coming back over the years knowing the way the events are
run, I say DON'T FIX IT!  Having spent some time in really unpleasant weather
conditions to autocross in Kansas before the second week of September, I am
certainly not opposed to the concept of making impound shorter and not having
to wait for the Prepared and Mod cars to be weighed.  Especially when you
figure that you would either have to weigh indoors or in both directions if
you want to be accurate with the winds that can blow through.  While yes, the
aerodynamic aids legal in Prepared probably don't add much downforce, it only
takes a pound to be illegal, doesn't it!
    I'll try to go back to being quiet now...
Matt Leicester
hotruck@rmsolo.org
FSP 33 Toyota Hotruck