Re: Camber for ST car

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Camber for ST car
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 20:21:13 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Linnhoff <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
To: Undisclosed-Recipient:@autox.team.net;
<Undisclosed-Recipient:@autox.team.net;>
Date: Saturday, May 19, 2001 9:37 AM
Subject: Camber for ST car

>How do you all feel about camber settings for a Street Touring car on
street
>tires?  Currently I'm running -2.7 degrees on both sides (front only, rear
>is at -0.2 degrees) via a set of GC camber/caster plates and I'm wondering
>if perhaps that might be too much camber for the Kumho street tires that
I'm
>running.  Testing has yet to bear out any results as I've yet to complete
an
>entire autocross run with the now 6 week old new suspension.  :^\

You need two things:

1.  Skidpad.
2.  Pyrometer.

Skidpad testing works better than autocross testing because your tire temps
get confused by the time spent on the inside of the corner.  In other words,
you need a pure left-turn tire-heating to check your right-side camber and
vice-versa.  Testing tire temps after an autocross run is likely to lead you
less camber than is optimum.

Oh, and what's this "Undisclosed-Recipient" stuff?  I'm assuming this came
to me via autox@autox.team.net.

Daughter Amanda has presented us with a second grandchild.  Sirena Mae
Stremski
arrived on the first day of Spring 2001, weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces.