Re: Engine break-in.

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine break-in.
From: Matthew Carson <mcars@vt.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 21:58:13 -0400
>Louis Gallinaro said:
>

>>Just a little aside. Not sure wether it's true or not. But When I went
>>with my girlfriend to pick up her 2000 Olds Alero, the guy told us that
>>the engine did not require a break in period, because they ran the
>>engines at the factory for some inordinate amount of time.  I forget
>>exactly what he said. Something like 100 hours. Maybe he was full of
>>it.
>

>He was full of it.  An engine plant hot test is maybe 10 minutes, tops.
>Some high-end stuff (Porsche 911 Turbo, Ferrari, Lamborghini) are run-in
>longer, but anything made by The General is going to be kicked out the door
>with the minimum that doesn't make the engineers scream (cringe is okay,
>whimper is okay, too, but screams might upset the shareholders).
>

>Jim Crider
>autojim@att.net

I can confirm what Jim says here.  My job at GM was end of line testing for
assembly plants.  The engine wasn't run for long at the engine plant, and
we put about two or three miles on it at the assembly plant.  Those can be
some pretty hard miles, the drivers like to get through the test and get
done.  You should see the drivers at Bowling Green, 0-80 about instantly on
those Vettes!  It is quite hard to baby a Z06 on a four wheel roll test
machine and keep traction....

-Matt