Safety statistics

To: "'Autocross list'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Safety statistics
From: Terry Hill <thill@novaengr.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 18:12:35 -0400
One of my friends is currently engaged in a custody battle for her kids, and
her soon-to-be-ex-husband is citing the kids' autocrossing (as passengers)
as evidence that their mother "exposes the children to extreme danger",
which the divorce courts would obviously frown upon.

I've been running Solo II events since the early 70's (when many clubs still
called them gymkhanas), and I've never seen anyone hurt.  Anyone subscribing
to this list probably shares my view... the drive to and from the event is
more dangerous than the event itself.  However, my friend needs to cite some
statistics which will prove this point.  Can anyone direct me to a
compilation of  accident statistics for Solo II?

I'm aware that the insurance companies do NOT regard Solo II as a "contest
of speed", and that normal insurance coverage remains in force, but I'd like
to offer some additional backing to demonstrate the safety of the sport.

Best Regards,

Terry Hill

Nova Engineering, Inc.
mail:   5 Circle Freeway Dr., Cincinnati, OH  45246
Tel.:   513-642-3104
Fax:    513-642-3304
www:    http://www.nova-eng.com
mailto:thill@nova-eng.com