Re: Safety statistics

To: "Terry Hill" <thill@novaengr.com>,
Subject: Re: Safety statistics
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:46:51 -0500
I've never seen any database for Solo II accident statistics, probably
because the stats are few. Don't say injury cannot happen, because it can,
and has, including fatalities. I know of three, maybe four, that have
happened in the 35 years I've been in the sport (which is a *very* small
percentage, but easily blown out of proportion). One was spectator, one
(maybe two) were drivers, one was passenger.

I've seen a number of rollovers in my time. Maybe a dozen or so. The worst
injury was a 1970 rollo of an MG Midget. The driver still had his hand on
top of the steering wheel and it got kinda mangled between wheel and
concrete. Nothing broken, just torn-up skin. The only two occasions where I
saw a driver was taken to the emergency room, they returned to the event
before it was over.

I've never seen any lesser mishap (e.g. spinouts, even curb contact, etc.)
result in injury.

I'd suggest, first, call Denver (800-770-2055) and talk to Pete Lyon or
Candice Zucker in the SCCA Risk Management office. If any numbers exist,
that's where they'd be. Be sure to get numbers on total events, total
participants per year and stand that beside total incidents. You may even
have a ratio of fewer injuries per run in solo II than injuries per mile in
highway driving. Don't try to deny that accidents can happen, rather stress
the rarity.

Second, have the SCCA Solo II Rulebook at hand, and quote liberally from the
safety sections. The ones that tell about max speed (less than highway),
rules for passengers including minor passengers, etc., to illustrate that
these events that "expose the children to extreme danger" are in fact
conducted with utmost attention to safety (we have a Safety Steward
program - the only licensed specialty in Solo II) and in an environment that
encourages safe driving.

This of course presumes that the kids in question are old enough to ride as
passengers and are abiding by the safety constraints required by the Solo II
rules.

Then you make the argument that Daddy is grossly overstating the case to
create a false impression. Solo II, in fact, amounts to advanced driver
education.

Daddy is banking on the imagery of motorsport (as a generality) as being
hazardous. The difference between perception and reality -- especially when
the specific reality is Solo II -- is enormous, and that difference must be
made clear to the court. Stock-class autocross cars going about 45 mph one
at a time between pylons on an open lot is not the same as Indy cars doing
220 wheel to wheel and crashing into concrete walls. But to the uninitiated,
they are the same thing.

--Rocky Entriken